Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Semi-homeade spaghetti

Well I've already covered my love for Alton Brown, now let's move on to discussing Sandra Lee. When I first saw her show, Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee on the Food Network, I had such high hopes. I thought, Wow I might actually be willing to cook some recipes I see featured on a cooking show. (A lot of recipes have things I think sound gross or are way too time consuming.) I love the concept of utilizing certain store bought products and adding your own touches to have a homemade meal. However, Sandra Lee seems a bit too tied up in cocktails and tablescapes for my taste. Perhaps I need to spend more time online perusing her recipes or pick up her cookbook. For now however, I sort of ignore her.

On to the spaghetti. My Mom makes her own spaghetti sauce which I really love. However I don't really see myself ever making it, and my family at this point doesn't really enjoy all the vegetable chunks so I've taken a semi-homemade approach to spaghetti sauce.

- Brown 1/2 lb super lean ground beef(97% lean). I'm sure ground turkey would be nice too. (Drain fat if necessary)
- Add one can/jar of spaghetti sauce of whatever brand or flavor you enjoy most.
- Add Italian seasoning.(My jar is not quite as fresh as it could be, so I add a lot.) My bottle of "Italian seasoning" contains: Basil, Oregano, Thyme, Rosemary, Marjoram, and Garlic.
- Simmer on low-ish for awhile until the sauce is hot. I usually have it simmer while the noodles are finishing up.

Adding the Italian herbs is really what makes the most difference.

Not rocket science by any means and my Michelin star isn't in the mail, but it gets a good dinner on the table quick. That to me is what it is all about.

No comments:

Dinner Calendar