Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Morgan's Party #3: The Cake


The purse was pound cake with a butter cream icing. I made the hearts and monogram by heating Tropical Starbursts in the microwave, rolling them out and cutting with some tiny "cookie" cutters that I have. The nail polish and lipstick were Now and Laters which I formed into those shapes. For the purse handle, Ryan drilled holes in Strawberry Milkshake Whoppers which I strung onto some purse hardware that I already had.

The crazy looking bear was Morgan's special Non-DairyChocolate Cake with Dairy and Gluten-free butter cream frosting. Despite the limitations they were both delicous and I would make them again in a heartbeat. One word of warning is that the butter cream is not as stiff as a traditional buttercream, so be careful of how much water you add if you would like to do fancy icing with it. I tried to use some different tips and it just sort of ran.

I don't like to pass up an opportunity to show off what a GIGANTIC nerd I am, so I will also include my to-scale mock-up of the cake. I was using Costco pound cakes, and I wanted to make sure I knew exactly how this whole thing was going to go together before I started. It did save me a lot of time and stress by already knowing how I wanted the finished product to look. The red part is what I was having to cut off the bottom and add to the top to get a trapezoid shape. The dimensions on there are the size of the individual pound cakes.


3 comments:

Our Blog said...

Shut up! That's awesome!!!!!

Missy said...

You are amazing! That cake is da bomb:)

Westover Bunch said...

Wow!! You did such a good job! It is so fun!!

Dinner Calendar